Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Confined Water


Taking the plunge. Welcome to the underwater!

The confined (pool) water sessions are over. We made it! Using scuba gear is a lot easier than I had thought it'd be. My only issues were with having a dry throat from breathing dry air for extended periods of time. I've been teaching myself to swallow saliva with the second stage in my mouth! Other than that was an ill fitting mask and a cheap snorkel which will be easily solved by buying my own. Also, we've decided that we have to get wetsuits. Nat and I both get plenty cold even in 3m of pool. 18m in the sea is gonna be really cold then especially if there's a thermocline.



It was quite an experience. The first questions were asked even before any gear was pulled on. First was the 200m swim and then the 10 minute unassisted float. I didn't count the laps, I just swam and the 10 minutes of treading water (I can't float for some reason) wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

As long as you pay attention and listen to your instructor, the various tests are simple and easy enough. It's as I'd said, anyone who goes into scuba diving all gung ho and macho is going to get killed. Either by own stupidity or by the instructor!

4 comments:

The Bimbo said...

Yes pls take all precautions and BE SAFE! :) Thanks for the well wishes. and I'm glad www.brainspillage.com is still yours. Should I get www.brainybimbo.com? :)

Sen said...

"pls take all precautions and BE SAFE!" - Sounds like I'm being reminded to bring and use condoms! LOL!

Thank you Bobo.

And you're welcome. I am indeed happy for you.

brainybimbo.com sounds catchy!

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

Whoa buddy, that looks like so much fun :D Unfortunately, diving isn't the activity for me, I can probably drown in a glass of water! LOL!

Sen said...

I'd like to see the glass Nick! LOL!