Friday, September 14, 2007

Ridiculous

It didn't occur to me how ridiculous my situation has become. What situation? Well, eventually I do think I will tie the knot with someone though when I have no clue. I am at present, still single and staggering my way through life.

It's been a bit of an eye opener to me recently. My housemate/tenant told me of a ridiculously high figure of the percentage of divorcees in our generation. I thought it was startling to say the least. And divorces, while already painful can be ugly sometimes. I had written about finding out a good friend was getting divorced and this week, I'm was told by another friend that she is for now separated from her husband. I find myself wishing it wasn't happening to them. It's not a happy thing and not something you'd like your friends to go through. Additionally I've been hearing about more separations/divorces from my housemate, Janice.

What gives?

What's going on?

I suppose what has shielded me a lot from all this is that most of my friends are still single. Like me.

So I've gone overboard and become overly cautious and paranoid. Overly cautious that I'm already deciding what kind of girl I'd allow myself be married to. Trying to identify the pitfalls and problems that beset marriages and devising ways to overcome them or identifying traits where this can be avoided.

And then there was already a contingency plan should things go wrong. I hadn't been entirely happy that my major fixed assets are in my name. I had wanted these things to be in my mother's name. I wouldn't really have cared if I'd earned and paid for them myself but I didn't. In some ways I consider myself as somewhat of a trustee for what I perceive as my family's assets. It's not mine to lose. Even though my parents will tell me different. I was told last night that it is perfectly reasonable for me to fight tooth and nail (if I have to) for such assets without handing over a cent. Well.... that's a comfort....

So here I am. Single. No girlfriend. And already worrying about divorce.

That's pretty fucking stupid isn't it? Anyone will tell you that but somehow I had shoehorned myself into a tight hole with no room for rationality.

Last night, I had some sense gently knocked into me by Ivy, a friend whose friendship I treasure. It's a balance of friendship and professionalism. I don't swear in front of her. Well, not much anyway...! We have worked together before and became friends. We met on the job of course. I'm a property manager, she's an estate agent. My apartment, her tenant. (The only active agent I completely trust in case you ever need to talk to one!) Other people could have told me the same things but I suppose I needed the touch that she or our kind of friendship has.

There are some pretty good marriages. Examples of which are evident. My parents would be the perfect example. My sister's marriage is very harmonious despite being unbalanced on paper. We also can pretty much deduce that Nick has a very strong marriage himself. I could envy him but of course I don't. I think it's great. It gives one hope and I hope to be able to emulate such a situation for myself.

So here I am. With some sensibility finally banged into my brain. I'm awake now, thanks. What next? I don't really know. When my uncle got married he said that you just know when you're with the girl you're going to marry. Well, he divorced his first wife but his second marriage seems good.

Thanks Unca Gary. Good one.

I suppose you can't really determine nor can you plan for things like this. I would really like to find someone I want to spend the rest of my life with. So much so that I'm really afraid of getting it wrong.

I've decided to just live life as I've been doing. Plodding about sometimes with purpose and sometimes quite aimlessly. It would be nice to find love along the way.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Definitely growing up there. But then again, it's always been in you to think the way you did in this posting.

Life is short - live it to the fullest I'd say. And as for what fullest hold - only you can tell.

And I'm pretty certain that in your list of full - a nice gal would be featured in it.

The Bimbo said...

Like Barbsie I'm sure someone will come along sooner or later.

But i'm one of those...

Hmm I don't think getting married is important anymore. I think the promise between two people, to respect each other and love each other is much more important. If a contract has to be used to hold two people together I think it's meaningless.

So if two people are happy together, love each other then being married or not doesn't matter.

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

Hey Hui Sen, The trick is communication and not letting routine set in, that's when chinks in marriages start appearing. The wife and me call it The Standard Operating Procedure (SOP).

Most people we notice, once they are married get too familiar with each other to the point of the marriage becoming boring. They don;t do the things they used to while dating, they don't dress the way they did while dating, why does that have to stop once you're married right?

That's when divorces happen. And Bobo does have a point. you don't really need to be married if you're in love, right? Don't worry buddy, when you meet that girl you wanna spend your entire life with, you will know. I did :)

Anonymous said...

I always believe that man does not need a lifetime partner in order to lead a fulfilling life. (: That's why I am still single, and happily so too.

Yes, the divorce rate may be rising, and people do make mistakes with regard to such committments. But ultimately, it is up to us to decide our own fate - and whether we are willing to put in the effort to make the marriage work. (:

Don't worry dude, your time will come. (: You're still young after all!

Sen said...

That was all quite insightful. Thanks for the comments everyone. It all certainly helped me with my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree withh Nick on this one. Allowing the drudge of the everyday to set in will absolutely kill a relationship, romantic or otherwise.

It will happen, bud. Every meaningful relationship I have ever had I've fallen ass backwards into. It's a natural thing, and just can't be forced.