Friday, October 26, 2007

Cause and Effect

We are the products of our upbringing, experiences and observations.

True?

I think so.

I made a comment today about my children. I said that I do see something of myself in them. I have to be aware that they learn from me. Not just the things I tell them but the things they see me do and the things they hear me say. It's a heck of a responsibility being a parent.

Some of my friends seem to be oblivious to the fact that they liberally use bad language around children. One of them should be in trouble sometime real soon because he's already an uncle from his sister's marriage. I'm surprised she hasn't already sat him down and given him an earful. I'd have.

As a parent though, you can only control so much. You teach your children your values and your ideals. Then you hope that what happens to them and around them in the big bad world doesn't push them too far into the red areas of your morality, values and manners. How much do you do to protect them? Would you be able to pick and choose their friends for them? What do you do when they reach the rebellious stage? How do you determine punishment when you feel lines have been crossed?

Times have changed. I feel that there is so much more now to fear for our children. The rules are constantly changing. Social structure, morality, priority, tolerance, values, people and parenting are different from generation to generation. What the world was like and what people were like is vastly different between my parents' generation and mine. And my generation compared to today's youth is a whole different world. I actually think we've gone too far. Children are allowed to get away with too much these days and this is also an opinion I have watching my friends' children. Some of these people I grew up with. I still think sometimes their kids deserve a smack upside the head or a good scolding after.

Apparently their mother and I are too strict with the children in this day and age.

Apparently.

But I also notice my children are a lot better behaved than a lot of other little brats out there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buddy, I absolutely get what you mean about some kids needing a great spank in the backside! Kids nowadays have no respect for their elders unlike those days. I keep a tight reign on my kids ...

The Bimbo said...

Well HS... I agree with you. We're carved from our experiences. What doesn't break you makes you stronger right?

And it's true that parents can only do so much yet they are the most powerful source of influence on their kids.

I'm glad to hear that yours are more well-behaved... :) Seems like you've been taking real good care of them!