Sunday, January 07, 2007

Get it right dammit!

I was watching The Top Corner with Dez Corkhill on TV the other day and I was pretty appalled. The Top Corner is a program for our regional football. Whatever the case, however well the show is produced there is a glaring problem with it. The Top Corner is not exclusive to this problem. All these idiot presenters, no matter how good they are, cannot pronounce the names of our teams and places.

This has been a pet hate of mine ever since Sepang became a fixture on the F1 and MotoGP circuit. Not a single bloody foreign host or presenter has ever been able to pronounce 'Sepang' and 'Kuala Lumpur' properly. It's not that they can't. They just can't fucking be bothered. They can sure get names like Le Mans, Jerez, Spa-Francorchamps and Paul Ricard right though. Why? I'm pretty willing to bet you they've heard 'Sepang' being pronounced by the locals but I'll also bet you they don't fucking care. The Sepang circuit is good enough to be on the F1 calender. Year after year. Give it some respect for fuck's sake. It's not a hard thing to say right. It gets right on my tits this does.

What is this? Western superiority?

They know it's pronounced differently but they think they should pronounce it the kwailo way?

Goddam dumb Asians not worth the trouble?

Which brings me back to Dez Corkhill and those of his ilk. Foreign presenters working in our region on TV shows for our region. I cringed everytime Dez mentioned Selangor and Pahang. I was so impressed he got 'Perlis' right. The ones he got right on the money were MPPJ and DPMM. Wow. I'd bet he'd have no trouble with Public Bank either. If the team still was in the league that is. I have no hope for him when it comes to Perak though. Well done Dez!

Of course Dez isn't guilty by himself. The chick on channel 82. She that sits next to Andy Penders. Blonde, tits, cleavage, English, from Sheffield probably [10/1 - Charlie Webster]. She once mentioned Selangor. Didn't do much better than our Dez. Our channels are full of kwailos. Why?

I'll tell you why.

Local presenters. They'll get the pronunciation spot on. Don't worry about that. So why aren't there more locals (people from our region) on TV? They all shite that's why. We don't have an Andrew Leci or John Dykes. In about 5 to 10 years I have hope for locals presenters doing a good job. We might have our own Adnand Lassi and Johan Daik. Yeah, I'm having a laugh. Forget the current crop. For now any aspiring talent who wants to be on TV will have to see how it is done, how it should be done. I just hope they don't pick up the pronunciation as well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's the tits and cleavage again in this blog. Hahahaha You go, Sen!

Sen said...

Darling Janice, I bitch about something and all you pick up are tits and cleavage!

YOU go girl!!! Hahaha!

BTW, I am typing one handed. See next post.

Anonymous said...

I take the comments on board Brian. I'll work on those pronunciations.

There are more and more local Presenters making their mark on International TV.

Dez