Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Innocuous

It's a simple question. One you ask many times to a whole variety of people. Acquaintances, friends, family, etc.

"How was your weekend?"

It's along the lines of, "How are you?" except in a sense it's more sincere and can be elaborated on. It's not as broad and meaningless. I say I'm fine even when I'm not.

Anyway, this time it backfired on me spectacularly.

The answer to the question?

"I've been stressed. Hardly slept."

And after a pause, "I'm getting divorced."

Oops.

I felt quite bad for her because she's a lovely person and good friend and I wasn't sure what or how much to say. Somehow I managed to bumble my way through it. I suppose it was inevitable. In a way, I had seen it coming and wasn't taken by surprise but I had hoped it would somehow work out and they could find a reason, maybe something consistent from day one which made them a couple in the first place, to remain married.

It had shocked me when it turned out I have met her husband before but such was the situation that I had at that point thought they were friends. It was a group outing which she invited me to and I was meeting nearly everyone for the first time. I had no inkling at the time that he was her husband.

I am pleased though that she has many good friends and so has a good network of support should she ever need it.

It's one thing to have realised something. It's another whole different matter when things come to a head and something actually happens.

I've been told that the divorce rate amongst Malaysians in my age group is spectacularly high. But when it's someone you know and like, it's not really a statistic anymore. They're real people. And they're hurting right now.

So.

How was your weekend?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a very enriching weekend myself, and came through Bobo's blog even though I have you in Technorati.

Coming through from a divorce myself, yes it does hurt. The initial part, alot. Afterall, this is one issue every single one of us wished we will never have to face. It's good to have friends, but honestly friends really can't help much other than a few dosage of comfort and sympathy.

The rest is very much about self-healing. And it's a long long journey.

Sen said...

Thanks for your comment Ed.

I suppose all friends can provide at best is a distraction from the reality but that dealing with it on a personal level is pretty much something done alone.

Hope you've done well for yourself since and I mean that sincerely.