Saturday, November 18, 2006

What was that again?

Originally posted in Strange Highs and Strange Lows, September 30th.

I was in Subang Jaya on Friday. Was there in Subang Parade to buy a TV and a home theatre system for the condo in Mont Kiara. Being a cheapskate and really hating Parade's parking payment system I parked in Carrefour (free!) and walked over. As I crossed the road I came across quite an attractive girl. Have no idea why she looked slightly alarmed and quickened her pace. I walk faster than most people myself and I wasn't keeping up. It's all okay in the end after all as I got to ogle at her ass in the tight skirt and the half sprint greatly increased posterior sway and shake. I am startled though. I was minding my own business and I certainly didn't give her a funny look nor did I leer at her. The tragedy of being a cheapskate, and deliberately walking faster and clomping away behind her just to let her know I was still there, took me to the doorway of the mall. That's when I realised my cheque book was in the glove compartment of my car which in turn was in another building entirely.

D-oh!

Once I returned with cheque book, the damn shop wasn't open. So I killed time by going upstairs to MPH. I found 'Thud!' (I actually wrote it as 'Bonk!' before remembering that wasn't the actual title; Thud, Bonk; what's the difference eh?) in paperback. Something I have been looking for for about a year now. Quite a lucky thing then since I wouldn't have visited the MPH if the electrical goods store had been open when I got there. The hardcover copy is all I've seen up to now and being a cheapskate, it's RM99.90. Hooray for paperbacks! I had a theory once that the book was only released in hardcover because of the title, which is 'Thud!' (not 'Bonk!'). So all good. I found a book I'd been wanting to find for ages.

I also searched the store database for Durrell (G. M.) books. Grand total: 2. I spoke to the guy at the customer service desk about it and he said they would be ordering more Durrell books which delighted me no end. But then the guy said that Durrell had a new book coming out soon. That's when I blinked and informed the guy that Durrell died years ago. Jan 30, 1995 to be precise.

What was that again?

No comments: