Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Blood

Blood is thicker than water.

It is.

I have cousins who live abroad. I don't see them often as is expected. The number of times can be counted on the fingers on one hand. I don't know them. My cousin Sarah flew in and did a mini tour with her boyfriend and it included visiting my parents in Ipoh, my sister in Singapore and here in KL, there's me. As adults, this is only the second time I've seen her and the time before this one was during our grandfather's funeral. Not exactly the best time.

This is my cousin and yet it was almost like meeting someone for the first time. Sarah's father is Norwegian and so she grew up there and now she's residing in London. We played together as kids. A long time ago. When my aunt visited and she came along. I know her brother even less.

We got to chill together. Last night, I brought her and her boyfriend out of KL and to Black Canyon in Centrepoint BU. Dinner and coffee. It was great. But there was no great abandonment in conversation. I don't know Sarah and she doesn't know me. As persons. As individuals. We were only scraping the surface to getting to know one another.

After a good meal, coffee and conversation, I dropped them back at their hotel in KL. As I was driving home, I felt a little empty. Like something had been lost. I probably won't see Sarah again for years and it did make me a little sad. We still don't know each other well. There's only that much can be done with so little time. Blood is thicker than water. I may not know my cousin but last night I realised that regardless, because she is my cousin, I do love her. She's family.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey - you have the same face shape and eyes!

So yes - you are family!

Kevin K said...

dude, u look like a kid bro.. who's older? blood is thicker than water indeed man!

Sen said...

Umm.... I'm older actually. But we'll attribute that to my youthful good looks, okay? LOL!

zeezee said...

she looks pretty sexy!