Saturday, June 09, 2007

Tribute

I came across 'A Metal Tribute to Abba'. I just had to have it. I thought it would be really interesting how Abba songs could be interpreted by metal bands. I figured if not just for the novelty value, it would be the comedy album of the year.



The first few songs confirmed my worst fears. I had hoped to be pleasantly surprised and impressed by the various bands but it seemed like all they had wanted to do was throw in as much guitar crunch and rapid fire percussion as possible. The harder and faster the better. It seemed like the bands were like going for shock tactics or running ruthlessly roughshod over the songs. I don't really blame them. Think back to Abba lyrics. Songs like Thank You For The Music, Chiquitita and Take A Chance On Me. Maybe you'd have an inkling how hard it was for metal bands to interpret songs with lyrics like that.

Perhaps it's fitting then that when I got to Eagle with was played by Sargant Fury that I suddenly found something entirely believable and viable. The lyrics of Eagle would fit the pretentious melodic metal bands of past years which ran on themes of the mystical and the grand. The next song after Eagle was One Of Us with was played by Flowing Tears. They played it like a metal ballad dispensing with heavy, fast, down-picked, distorted guitar work but retaining the metal feel with melodic lead guitar lines. I really like it. As much as I liked Eagle. Maybe more.

By this time I'd brightened up and I found Waterloo by Nation to be fun. I'm listening to Super Trouper now by Custard. It was a valiant effort and a good metal interpretation but there's only so much can be done with a song like that as far as metal goes. The next song is Knowing Me Knowing You. Half of me is awash with anticipation. The other half is filled with dread and impending doom!

Footnote: If you have a copy of "Twang! A Tribute to Hank Marvin and The Shadows", please please let me have a listen. You will have earned my eternal gratitude.

2 comments:

The Bimbo said...

This would be one of the reasons why I rarely buy CDs anymore... sigh. All the best with the others you want to get your hands on.

and thanks for the link. :)

Unknown said...

It.Is.Good.

You should have given this to me last week when I was raging.

As for your surprise factor - hey, I be listening to dude who paints face white and wear kohl! What else is new?!