Monday, May 07, 2007

Stealing Time

Here I am, pinching a bit of time from the company to put this down.

Well....

Chaaaaaaampiiiooonnnssss!!!!

At the start of this season that all I wanted for Manchester United was the Premiership title. All else was secondary. Done and done. Woohoo!

Chelsea FC doesn't get any sympathy from me. They do however get bucket loads of respect. The way they've played during the entire season has been fantastic. Last night's game though, the way they rallied one man down against Arsenal was magnificent.

I don't have to like them though but I don't hate them either. Football fans that hate other teams, I find, are kinda sad. If you live in England, and for example you live in Birmingham and support Villa and you hate Birmingham City, fine. Likewise Everton/Liverpool, Sunderland/Newcastle, Spurs/Gunners, bla bla bla/yakka yakka yakka. What are we, the overseas fans, after? Bragging rights over fans of rival clubs or cultivating a genuine love of the team and the game? Bandwagon fans jump aboard just to be able to bask in the glory of the team's successes and gloat over fans of rival clubs. Sad but appreciated. As I'd said before, more fans means more merchandise gets sold. More merchandise sold means more money for the club. I just don't want to talk football to any of them.

When I was in Perth, I hated Wollongong Wolves. I felt I was entitled to. They continued to be in the way of Perth Glory's umm.... glory. I lived in Perth, I went to every home game I could get to (on foot no less), I wore the shirt(s) and knew every player by name and number. I remember I gave a Wolves' player, Matt Horsley, the finger when he scored against Perth and I was behind the Glory goal. He had the cheek to wave and grin to us. I locked eyes with him and flipped him the bird. Of course the irony is that Perth Glory signed him the very next season! They also signed Damien Mori, NSL's top scorer, but by then I had left Perth. I left shortly after Perth had lost the NSL Grand Final at Subi Oval to.... Wolves. They eventually won it but by then I was out of touch with the Australian league.

I think I've stolen enough time from work. There's a supplier coming over with brochures as well. Heigh ho, heigh ho....

2 comments:

pinksterz said...

curi tulang at work!

i tell your boss! heheh.

Sen said...

So bad...!