Thursday, May 03, 2007

Whimper

It was a collapse. A loss was the only outcome once belief evaporated.

Unlike the semi final against Juventus in 1999, there was no one to drag the team back into the game like Roy Keane did that day.

No one stood up this time.

Usually I look at losses as a positive thing. United are always most dangerous when burnt. Their opponents in the next game always expect a backlash. But in this game it is a moot point. This wasn't a league game. It was a knockout 2-leg game. It's over. The backlash could occur in the Premiership, ultimately winning it. But for the Champions League, it's over.

I'm severely disappointed. I'm not as disappointed with being knocked out than I am about the manner of the loss. The players seemed out of sync and overawed by the occasion. What I saw was not the team I have seen all season, that fears no one and goes into every game with the intention of winning.

That didn't happen. Manchester United cannot claim to be one of the best in Europe when they go into games overly cautious of their opponents.

This wasn't shot down in flames. This was a submissive lie down, roll over and still got savaged by the alpha wolf anyway.

I shall have some tim sum and tea this morning. There is a lot of unhappiness to wash away.

2 comments:

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

Sori dude, but I seriously don't sympathize with MU's loss. I'm no fan of theirs and yeah, they deserved to lose, what with the way they played. Well, there's still the EPL crown for you guys. Better MU then Chelsea I say :)

Sen said...

Well, no sympathy deserved nor sought after, Nick. It was a poor game on MU's part. While I am disappointed, I know there's still a lot to look forward to. Been with MU since 1986 so I do know how to wait for success and I don't think there'll be a long wait again this time. There hasn't been a drought for quite a while now. I know worse. On the international stage I'm an England supporter.

I should add though that I love bandwagon supporters. They're the buggers that buy all the gear. Someone's got to pay for the purchase of players, the players' salaries and what not.

To be really honest, all I had wanted for MU right of the start of this season is the Premiership. The FA Cup if won, will be a bonus.