Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Viva Hollywood!

I was reading my favourite cynical and satrical site. There was a poll which I answered just for the balls of it.

Would you sacrifice your own life to save 1 million strangers?

Naturally, I answered 'no'. And honestly, I wouldn't. Also, a stupid situation like that occurs when? And how?

Back in the old days I can imagine Chief Hunkahunkaluku of the Hubbahubbabubba tribe sacrificing his virginal daughter Kumonanbonkme in a volcano to save the people and their village. Only problem is, volcanos don't really give a shit what you throw into it before it erupts. Of course there're probably a few guilty looking village boys (just before the shit hits the fan) who think that goddamn, the volcano god really wanted a virgin. Oops.

But think about it. Would you? Sacrifice yourself for a million strangers? I suppose we're used to movie propaganda and noble and honorable good guy decisions on screen. There's probably internal peer pressure on you to say, "Yes! I will kill myself to save these people I don't even know."

But cue Mel Gibson torn and bloody, surrounded by fire and brimstone, accepting his fate. Viva Hollywood!

Truth be told? Part of my answer is also due to the fact I think the world is overpopulated and that rabbits and hamsters have nuthin on human beings. We outfuck them any day of the year. The only reason why they need to resort to multiple births is that apart from their own natural predators, we are very adept at killing vast numbers of them ourselves. That and the fact that little Nancy would like a hamster for Christmas. Or maybe a rabbit. Who cares?

When it all comes down to it, I am a selfish bugger who'd rather carry on with my own miserable life than to allow one million (here it is in numerics 1,000,000; and here's me: 1) to continue on their lives. In one million people there are bound to be a good number of individuals who deserve to inhabit this earth rather than me. I can accept that.

Or maybe for once in my life I can do something really useful which isn't limited to the amusement of a few and the orgasms of even less (hey, it makes good writing).

What would you have chosen?

For the record, 46.9% said "no" and the remaining 53.1% said "yes".

Oh, you fucking liars!

Cue insane laughter.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!

There's going to be a backlash. I just know it.

No comments: